Skip to main content

Free Tax Preparation

The Free Tax Preparation program is now recruiting volunteers and interns for the 2017 filing season. Training for volunteers begins November 2, 2016 at United Way of Greater Toledo. Free IRS training and certification. No experience necessary. 

For more information or to volunteer, please contact Free Tax Preparation at 419-254-4689 or email

We are currently scheduling appointments for tax preparation assistance. To schedule an appointment beginning in January 2017, please dial 2-1-1.


Education Sessions

The Free Tax Preparation program provides the opportunity for community members to learn the basics of tax preparation. Education sessions are free and open to the public. During these sessions, an IRS certified volunteer will be available to answer any questions and assist with tax preparation. It’s a great way to get comfortable with preparing your own taxes alongside a trusted volunteer tax preparer.

Volunteering and Internships

Become a tax preparer and help low-to-moderate income individuals and families stand on their own. Our free service brings dollars back to our local economy, while providing strong professional development tools for volunteers. Without your help, this program would not be possible. We are currently seeking to recruit 100 new volunteers in Lucas, Wood, and Ottawa Counties. Through our program, volunteers will become IRS trained and certified tax preparers.  For volunteer resources, click here.
The IRS estimates the average taxpayer spends $200 on tax preparation services each year. In an effort to help people save more of what they earn, we are helping low-to-moderate income families by preparing their state and federal returns for free. This year, volunteers in our program served nearly 3,000 individuals and families. This saved Northwest Ohio taxpayers $579,000 in tax assistance related expenses. Overall, our program returned $3.9 million to hardworking Lucas, Ottawa, and Wood County individuals and families.

My Free Taxes

Did you know that if you earn up to $62,000 annually you can file your state and federal taxes online for free? The MyFreeTaxes web tool is brought to you by United Way and powered by H&R Block. Click here to file now.

Need a little help using MyFreeTaxes? Click here for an easy to use guide that will walk you through completing your taxes using MyFreeTaxes.



Immigrant Filers

Please visit the national United Way website for more information regarding important documents for immigrant filers and families. Click here to visit United Way of America.

Tips for Taxes

Be sure to bring picture identification, Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number letter (ITIN), and W-2s to your appointment. You will need date of birth and relationship (son, daughter, mother, etc), current address, and taxpayer number for yourself and all dependents; and spouse if filing together.  
For a complete list of documents you will need, please click here.